Monday, August 24, 2009

EZ Blocks


This entry is to showcase both Sarah's current favorite toy and her ability to sit up. That being the case, I've edited out the many times she fell over.




I got these blocks with my starter kit a few weeks ago when I started to sell Discovery Toys. DT puts these toys in the 18+ months category and I'm sure that she will need to be that old before she can start building castles and such with them. But she can sure knock them down with the best of them.

I read somewhere that a 6 month skill is being able to put things into a container and dump them out. So I went looking for something that we could practice that with and hit upon the EZ Blocks. I also liked that she sat up straighter in order to knock over the tall towers I make for her. Before using this toy she would not really sit up, but more bend in half and play with things on the ground. She loves to shake the blocks since they rattle and is just starting to bang them together (although, I couldn't capture that on the video). She likes to dump out the bucket, but hasn't shown much interest in putting the blocks back in. She does like to throw the blocks, though, so I'm thinking that will come soon.

The video shows her using her left hand most of the time. I don't think that is an accurate indicator of her handedness, however. She sucks her left thumb but she switched to it when we had to mitt her right hand to prevent her from scratching at her exzema. Now she often plays with things with her right hand WHILE sucking on her left thumb. In this video, I think she is using her left hand so much because (1) the toys are on that side of her and (2) her right hand is being held out for balance.

I'd love to hear back from people as to what their baby's favorite toy was at 5 or 6 months old. And, I feel compelled to add, if you are interested in seeing a catalog for Discovery Toys, please let me know. August is kind of a crucial month for me since it is my first full month with the company. So if I hit the company's sales goal for this month I receive a cash bonus plus a credit towards next season's catalog items. I thought I had a big order coming from the library, but they had to back out at the last minute.

1 comment:

  1. Gabrielle and Dominic's favorite toy at that age was from Discovery Toys--a cloth block with a hole on top that they could put the objects in and dump them out. I don't remember seeing it in the catalog.

    Also, I do want to order the Unjumble game.

    ReplyDelete