Saturday, January 24, 2009

Crazy Kitties

Anabelle was sick earlier this week (Sunday and Monday mostly with some extra sleeping on Tuesday) and I don't think Millie knew what to do with herself. So she went exploring ... Not only can she open all ground level cabinets but she can also stand up on the bathroom counter and open the medicine cabinet in order to get at the plastic basket that holds my make-up. I'm sure she could reach Arlo's side if she wanted to .... but it does not seem that she does. Now that Anabelle is feeling better (we haven't heard a sneeze since Tuesday morning), Millie is showing her all of her new tricks. When I came home from my book club meeting yesterday, the house looked as if a tornado had gone through. No kitties met me at the door (as the ALWAYS do). Every cabinet was open. Every piece of paper that used to be on a surface (table, shelf, etc) was on the floor. Baskets were overturned, etc. The cords that tie up the kitchen windowblind were disheveled and one of my african violets sitting in the kitchen window was out of its pot and lying in the sink. The pot was nearby, luckily not broken. As I weaved my way through the destruction, I kept calling out for the girls ... no response. I thought that they might have just been hiding, knowing that they had done wrong. But no, they were sleeping the sleep of the innocent (extremely tired but still innocent) upstairs in the office (which was also in a shambles but it is hard to tell what they did vs. the mess it has been in ever since I tried to organize it).

Today was more of the same, except we were home. Therefore, we just kept yelling or distracting them from their path of destruction whenever possible. We dug out every milk ring and mousie that we could find (mostly from under the hutch where Anabelle keeps them banished) and they might have tired themselves out. We'll see.

I suppose this is good practice for having a two-year-old in a couple of years ...

2 comments:

  1. We have baby proof thingies attached to some cabinets to keep the cats out of them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should do that. Schroedinger likes to open the cabinet where I keep plastic bags and then attack them most viciously all over the house.

    Soon enough, Kat, you'll have legit reasons for babyproofing!

    ReplyDelete