Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Frogs and Balance

One mitten frogged.

A new mitten almost finished.

One earring lost.

Origami jumping frog found.

I sat around this morning and watched the inaugural proceedings. I don't think I've ever actually done that before. I usually see the speech but I don't think I've ever been home on January 20th to watch the entire ceremony. I'm a big fan of tradition and found the historical commentary of what aspects of the ceremony were added by which president and why they were added really interesting. I was surprised at just how religious the entire ceremony was. I don't know why I should be so surprised, but I was. I've also been reflecting on Obama's choice of using Lincoln's bible for the swearing in portion of the ceremony. I understand his desire to have Lincoln as a theme throughout this inaugural process. But, as everyone keeps talking about the historical nature of his presidency, I keep thinking that someone in the future might really want to honor him and his memory in their inauguration. Will this person also use Lincoln's bible?

The above is the frogging and knitting of the new mitten ... this time with the thumb in the right spot. That was what I did with my time while the proceedings were slowly proceeding. I stopped to actually listen to his speech.

I've been wearing the same earrings since we returned from Germany. They are the earrings I wore to get married. I like them. They are comfortable. They have a french wire that actually clasps (I thought well). At first I was wearing them without stop because we were homeless and traveling around the country for so many weeks. Then I was wearing them because I was so sick in the mornings and it felt good to go out of the house with jewelery on but also to not have to think about it. Then I was wearing them because it was habit. I got two beautiful pairs of new earrings for Christmas, but I decided I was going to continue wearing those earrings until the baby was born. Not for any particular reason. It was just that I had been wearing them for so long and I needed a natural breaking point. Well, it turns out another one was provided for me. I was on the phone last night and realized that I was only wearing ONE earring. I think the other one will turn up. In fact, I think Millie might find it for me. But in the meantime, I'm back to wearing different earrings as I please.

The reason I think Millie might find the earring is that she is good at finding things she is not really supposed to play with. We came home Sunday with some pieces of completed origami. Nice bright paper. Put up high to keep out of reach of kitties. I've now found one of the jumping frogs in my boot ... twice. Millie has no idea what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

  1. Oohh! I'm so upset. My friend made me a really beautiful modular origami piece. It was unlike anything I'd ever seen before, and so wonderful! They strung it on a string for me, but after a year, it needed some repair. They came over, and they said that they'd take it home to fix it. Well, they forgot it, and I left it on the table.

    I came downstairs the next day to find pieces of beautiful, tie-dyed-looking origami pieces strewn all over the house!

    Kitties do love to play with what they're not supposed to play with!

    ReplyDelete