Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cuddle Buddy Bunny

Here is the official first knitted project for my own baby. Although, I might go get some different yarn and make a different one. These blanket buddies were all over Europe when we were there last year. I haven't seen as many American babies with them ... but I am seeing them in the baby stores, so maybe they are coming into their own here.

This pattern is from Lion Brands free pattern archives. I did not use Lion Brand yarn, however. The pattern calls for a bulky yarn on big needles. I used a sport weight with size 7 and 3 needles. Once you knit the blanket portion with the larger needles, you switch to the small needles and double knit (meaning knit both the front and back panels of the head at the same time). Unfortunately, I purled when I should have slipped and even though I discovered it on the very next row, I some how couldn't fix it. I think it just gives him character though.

I ripped out the embroidered face 3 times before I settled on this one. I am not very good with embroidery, period, but somehow with a knitted background I have even greater difficulty.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with him. I think he is quite a character. But I still think I might knit another one. Arlo wants my next project for our little girl to be booties. As we've been completing our registry, he keeps commenting on how adorable the little shoes are.

2 comments:

  1. That is so cute. I was actually looking at that pattern myself, but you beat me to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bunny is so cute and his face is adorable. Nice work!

    Gabrielle has had a stuffed cow blanket buddy type animal since she was four months old. I had to rubber band the blanket up when she was a baby because it would wrap around her head when she was sleeping. The thing is nasty and falling apart (she's on her second one) but she still cannot sleep without her "Mooey" at night and has a panic attack if she can't find him. And the blanket is still rubber banded up...she won't have him any other way!

    ReplyDelete