Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I think it has been at least 2 days since I've posted about my cats ... so you all are due. When we first got these sweet girls, I was really good about trimming their claws EVERY Sunday. They squirmed the first time but quickly learned to associate claw cutting with the treat they got afterwards. In fact, I have to cut Anabelle's claws second because as soon as we are done, she runs over to the drawer where the treats are kept. If I don't follow shortly, she gets quite impatient.

Lately, I have not been very good about the every Sunday aspect of the cutting of the nails. I think we went 3 weeks and it wasn't until I realized how often I was yelling at them to stop clawing the couch or some other inappropriate place that I realized that they probably needed their claws cut.

Well, I forgot again this last Sunday. I was reminded when I heard Arlo strongly urge them away from the couch (i.e. yell) for the third time this morning. Really, they were just a little bit crazy. They like the items that we bought them specifically to claw, but this morning it also felt good to give the couch a good swipe as they were racing pell mell around the room.

I cut Millie's claws first for two reasons. One was mentioned above and the other is that Anabelle is so jealous of any attention that anyone other than her receives (this will be interesting in a few weeks) that she comes and stands right next to me. This is quite convenienet in my pregnant state as I don't have to get up in order to take my next customer. My growing tummy has made this job a little more difficult than it used to be. I typically lay the cat on her back while she is on my lap in order to cut the front claws. Then, I sink her further into the hollow of my crossed legs in order to gain access to her back claws. Well, this hollow is fast disappearing. But we managed. And the rest of the day was couch clawing free.

We'll see about tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment