Friday, January 16, 2009

Mathematical Knitting

I learned to knit a few years ago when I was teaching at a charter school in Tucson. Whenever my 6th graders had a spare moment (before class, after a test, etc) they would be knitting. I found this curious and so asked what was going on. It turns out that the 6th grade art curriculum for that period was knitting. Both the boys and girls in my 6th grade math class were eating up the knitting and doing it at any opportunity they had. I asked the art teacher to teach me to knit during a faculty afterschool art class/workshop that she was running.

Recently, I listened to the interview with Cat Bordhi on Craft Sanity. Cat is a knitter and designer. What I had not known was that she had been a school teacher. In the interview she talks about how she incorporated knitting in her lessons. Her website has an essay that she wrote describing some of her experiences.

I am starting to do some work for the Riverbend Community Math Center where I help the director come up with some projects for students to work on. I was reminded, today, of Cat's comments about incorporating knitting and mathematics. I think this would be fun to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment