Sunday, January 11, 2009

Oat Waffles


I have a Crabtree and Evelyn cookbook that I've had since I was in high school and had romantic dreams about my life. The cookbook is arranged in menus for such special events like picnics where you have pasta salad with lobster and drink champagne. I have only made one recipe out of this book in all the years I've had it (until this morning). And that was not actually a recipe out of the book ... it was an adaptation. They have a recipe for summer fruit pudding (in the british sense) but also talk about a scandenavian dessert that I had while I lived in Denmark for a summer. I've made that dessert (once or twice).

Well, my sister and brother-in-law came to stay with us around Thanksgiving. Since Joe has Celiac Disease and can not eat anything with gluten I went searching for recipes I could make. Knowing Karen's love of waffles, I thought I could adapt the Oat Waffles in this book. The recipe does call for wheat flour but since it is in such a small quantity, I thought I could substitute in Oat flour. I thought that should go nicely with the oatmeal that is in the batter. Oats. Oats are not wheat. Right? Well, it turns out that is only partially correct. Oats are a "contaminated crop," I was told. So we couldn't have the waffles that weekend.

Well, they have been on my mind ever since then. Today, I decided to try them. I followed the recipe as written (i.e. with wheat flour). I made this decision since I was using up the last of the eggs and the last of my oats in the recipe so if it went poorly there would be no other options for breakfast. They were amazingly good! The oats gave them slightly more tooth than my normal waffle recipe that calls for seperated eggs where the whites are whipped to smooth peaks. I would like to try experimenting with other flours. So, I think I will try them on another day with the substitution of Oat flour.

Oat Waffles
(From Crabtree and Evelyn Cookbook: A book of light meals and small feasts)

3/4 c. rolled oats
3 Tbs. butter, cut into pieces
1 1/4 c. flour
1 Tbs. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1 c. buttermilk

In a medium saucepan, combine oats with 1 1/4 c. water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stiffing frequently, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir butter into hot oatmeal until melted.

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl. In another bowl, combine eggs and buttermilk and beat lightly. Stir oatmeal into egg-milk mixture. Add oatmeal mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until well blended; do not overbeat.

Preheat waffle iron until hot and cook waffles according to iron manufacturer's directions.

5 comments:

  1. You make waffles from a recipe that calls for whipped egg whites!!?? I don't even know what to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have *got* to remember to show Derek this recipe. He makes awesome waffles, he adores oatmeal, and I'm always looking for something a little different :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you try your recipes with flours that do not contain gluten (ie, wheat, barley and rye based flours) you may need to add some corn starch into the flour mixture (only about 1/4 cup. You need to do something to allow for the batter to stick together.) Luckily your egg foam will make your waffles light and airy.

    Tasty tasty waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been making these waffles from the lovely Crabtree and Evelyn cookbook for years. They are my favorite waffle. You'd think they would be heavy with the oats, but they are not, just a little more toothsome.I once made these for company, and one guest ate six of them! I had to make more batter to keep up with her.

    ReplyDelete